I have been writing for daily newspapers, magazines, and digital channels since 1996, and I spent the past six years as Special Projects Editor for Runner’s World magazine. I have co-authored four books:
- Run to Lose: The Complete Guide to Weight Loss for Runners (Rodale, 2015)
- The Runner’s World Big Book of Running for Beginners (Rodale, 2014)
- The Runner’s World Training Journal for Beginners (Rodale, 2014)
- The Runner’s World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training, (Rodale, 2012)
I currently write on a freelance basis for various publications. My work has appeared in The Washington Post, Outside, MaineBiz, and The Portland Press-Herald, and other publications.
Below, you can read about my experience. If you have any questions or want to know more about my work, please contact me.
Runner’s World Magazine, Special Projects Editor
May 2008 – October 2014
- Launched and managed the Runner’s World Challenge, the magazine’s online marathon and half-marathon training program and event business. (runnersworld.com/challenge)
- Launched and managed The Starting Line, Runner’s World’s online training program for beginners. (runnersworld.com/beginners)
- Launched and managed online training plans for Runner’s World, in addition to other brand extensions.
- Managed social media channels to promote online programming.
- Wrote articles for Runner’s World magazine.
- Planned, managed, and edited articles for the magazine’s Training and Racing sections. (May 2008 to June 2009).
KidsHealth, Parents Editor
Nemours Center for Children’s Health Media
- Planned, managed, wrote and edited articles about children’s health and parenting for www.kidshealth.org.
- Managed and reviewed the site’s 2,500 articles
- Managed projects with design, business development, and editorial staffs for site and corporate clients
- Managed, wrote and edited content for multimedia marketing projects, including magazines, blogs, TV interviews, radio spots electronic newsletters
The News Journal, Columnist
January 2007-May 2008
- Wrote bi-weekly column on The Female Athlete for sports section
- Profiled local recreational, student, and professional female athletes
- Wrote about local and national issues affecting women in sports
- Write weekly Get Fit column for health section
The News Journal, Reporter
Jan 2003-Feb 2005
- Wrote daily news and features on developments in local business community
- Wrote weekly column about health care industry
- Led the launch of weekly health section
The St. Petersburg Times, Reporter
Pasco County, Florida
November 2000 – January 2003
- Wrote daily news and features on developments in local business community.
- Covered city hall in New Port Richey, a town of 14,000
- Wrote weekly local business column
- Coverage included competition among local hospitals, retailers and manufacturers; Economic Development Council, tourism industry, local real estate market.
The Virginian-Pilot, Business Reporter
May 1998-October 2000
- Wrote daily news and features on local and national retail industry
- Covered downtown revival efforts, including opening of $300 million economic development project.
- Coverage included shakeout in local supermarket industry, movie theaters, auto, home improvement, retailers and small businesses.
American Banker, Reporter
New York City
Sept. 1996-April 1998
- Wrote daily feature and news articles covering the corporate finance business
- Covered developments in junk bond market, leveraged buyouts, and commercial real estate finance
OTHER NEWS EXPERIENCE
Dow Jones News Service, Editorial Assistant
Princeton, New Jersey
The Princeton Packet, Freelance Writer
Princeton, New Jersey
CNN Business News, Intern
Indianapolis Business Journal, Intern
Certified in CPR and basic First Aid
USATF Level 1 Certified Coach
Degree of English, Cum Laude
Graduated: May 1996
University of Edinburgh
Sept. 1994-June 1995
Studied Scottish Literature, Irish History and Art History
*A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children, Child Life Volunteer
January 2007-November 2007
*WXPN, Studio Volunteer
October 2003-January 2004
*Central Philadelphia YMCA Adult Literacy Program
May 2003- May 2004
*Pasco County School District, Volunteer Tutor
December 2001-December 2002
*Tidewater Literacy Council, Volunteer Tutor
June 1998 –October 2000
*Arthritis Foundation , Volunteer, Joints in Motion
*New York Public Library, Adult Literacy Volunteer Tutor
January 1997-April 1998
*Trenton, N.J. Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer
*Kenyon College Career Development Center, Intern
September 1993-May 1996